[SML] OSHA question

Dale Farmer dalesql at verizon.net
Thu Dec 4 03:21:08 UTC 2014

On 12/3/2014 10:54 AM, Bill Conner via Stagecraft wrote:
> Looking for a minimum size permitted by OSHA for a floor opening for
> access to equipment.  Best I can find is a ladder clearance -
> basically 30" x 30" plus 7" behind rungs, but desperately looking for
> a way to not have to cut and relocate major structural framing in an
> existing building, to permit 23" clear.

I would think this is more of a local building code issue than an OSHA
issue.    Basically, if someone needs to be down there working on the
thing, the access and exits available, among other things, will
determine if it qualifies as a confined space in code-speak, which
triggers all sorts of additional requirements if it is.

   --Dale