[SML] house light control systems recommendations needed

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 4 19:52:42 UTC 2014

What you are describing in not what I call an emergency, rather a
serious inconvenience. A real emergency is when you have to evacuate
the auditorium, fast. Depending on the efficiency of your
communications, it is quite possible for the LX operator to say "Some
silly b****r has turned the house lights on", and react by turning
them off again. Hence the override.

The rest of the system is a standard requirement in the UK. In the
event of a power failure, emergency lighting must be provided from a
completely independent source, and this must include all the exit
boxes and routes. Nowadays, this is often done with rechargeable
batteries in each fitting. This is an administrative nightmare to
check and maintain. The other way is to use a central battery running
dedicated 50V fittings. This is less trouble to maintain, but not
zero-trouble. The batteries are usually open Ni-Cd or Ni-Fe cells,
which require periodical checks on the electrolyte. They also need,
from time to time, to be put through a full discharge-charge cycle.

The trouble with both is that they usually monitor only one phase, so
if either of the other two fails, the automatic system may not
operate.

Back-up generators are notoriously unreliable. Their starter batteries
als need maintenance. I was once in a big transmitter station when
they tested the big diesel back-ups. It took them six minutes to come
on line! This is not tolerable in a potentially life-threatening
situation.

Until quite recently, some theatres used gas lighting, at least for
the exit routes. I can certainly remember this at Covent Garden on the
interminable exit stairs from the uppermost balcony, on the fifth
level of a big opera house.

--
Frank Wood