[SML] Job Posting: TD in Vancouver - Stanlety Theatre (Arts Club Theatre Society)

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Fri Dec 5 17:01:51 UTC 2014

Here's the job posting, as posted on CITT.  I worked for the company 12+ (gulp) years ago as crew / electrician / flies.
I can tell you some truths and some good lies, but I don't know much about the current situation.

Andrew

From: Teddy Forsyth - tforsyth at artsclub.com<mailto:tforsyth at artsclub.com>
Subject: Technical Director for the Stanley Stage and Tours - Arts Club Theatre Company
Job Description / Duties

The Arts Club Theatre Company is currently accepting applications for the position of Technical Director. This person shall be responsible for all aspects of production at the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage and for our annual touring season. This position oversees a staff that operates under the I.A.T.S.E. Collective agreement.

Responsibilities shall include, but are not limited to the following:
* Liaison with Stage Managers, Designers, Technical Director Production Shop, Tour Venue Technical Directors and Director of Production
* Develop technical concepts, equipment needs, staff requirements and schedules for the builds of the individual shows
* Hire and supervise production staff in all related areas; provide direction, training, support and evaluation
* Evaluate practicality of concepts, solve technical and artistic problems, prepare estimates and monitor spending within the assigned budgets
* Source and procure tools, e quipment and materials focusing on financial and operational efficiency
* Supervision on load ins and load outs for Stanley Theatre and tour venues
* Ensures a safe working environment for the crew and artists on stage and backstage.
* Ensure proper use and maintenance of facilities, tools and equipment
* Make recommendations regarding capital purchases
* Assist the Buildings Manager when required
* Assist with supervision of the scenery & costume shop facility and other stages when required
* Assist with the supervision of facilities rentals

Qualifications / Required Skills

The successful applicant will have proven knowledge of production techniques and staging principles and the use of relevant computer programs (usual MS Office applications), including CAD. A minimum of three years' experience as a Technical Director or related experience is required. We are seeking a dynamic individual with superior management skills in a unionized environment. The successful candidate will have experience in motivating and managing staff. He/she will have excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations. Preference will be given to persons holding additional certificates for one, or all of the following; Firearms Acquisition, LE Certificate, 1st Aid, pyrotechnics. A valid B.C. driver's license is essential.

Additional Information

Salary: not specified

Contact Information

TO APPLY: Human Resources, Arts Club Theatre Company
MAIL: 1585 Johnston Street, Vancouver BC V6H 3R9
FAX: (604) 688-3273
EMAIL:
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: December 19, 2014.
www.artsclub.com<http://www.artsclub.com>

We thank all who express interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.

Employer Profile

The Arts Club Theatre Company is Western Canada's largest professional theatre company. In its 51st season, this not-for-profit charitable organization produces and presents year-round in three venues: the 200-seat Revue Stage; 450-seat Granville Island Stage; 630-seat Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage; and tours throughout the province.

This job may be viewed at:
http://www.citt.org/cgi/page.cgi/citt_news.html?aid=8882&zine=show

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician

Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
6265 Crescent Road
Vancouver, BC
V6T 1Z1