[SML] house light control systems recommendations needed

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Fri Dec 5 19:50:53 UTC 2014

On 5 December 2014 at 02:14, Bill Conner <billconnerastc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM, e-mail frank.wood95 via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> Back-up generators are notoriously unreliable. Their starter batteries
>> als need maintenance. I was once in a big transmitter station when
>> they tested the big diesel back-ups. It took them six minutes to come
>> on line! This is not tolerable in a potentially life-threatening
>> situation.

> I'd guess the US reliance on fire sprinklers and the pumps for them
> has pushed the development of generators, since batteries would be a
> hopeless way to push water up in a high rise or even a tall stage
> house, let alone the motors for pressurization and smoke evac and
> elevators.

I think they must have done a lot of development. Mind, the station I
was talking about had six 250KW senders, and two 400KW. The generators
in question were three big diesels. Another such installation was in
the BBC's 'bomb-proof' emergency broadcasting centre. The generators
started OK, but then shud down after about ten minutes, due to
overheating!
--
Frank Wood