[SML] Road case weights - Update

Bruce Purdy bpurdy at rochester.rr.com
Sat Dec 6 20:18:40 UTC 2014

Dave Vick wrote:

> I've always just hung a 1-Ton chain hoist with a 5k dynometer & a pair of 9' nylon slings on it, and used that rig to weigh stuff. Just sling & lift, let the dyno needle settle, and there's your weight.

	Thank you all for your suggestions about weighing my road boxes. In the end, Dave’s suggestion was the closest to my final solution. The perfect answer came of-list from lurker Dave Dickinson. As a non-rigger, I don’t have a load cell or a chain hoist like Dave V, but following Dave D’s suggestion I bought a “Game scale” from the hunting section at Bass Pro-Shop. I hung each case with a ratchet strap from the scale, which in turn hung from a beam running across a pair of crank-up lighting stands. I cranked the stands up enough to get the case in the air and got the weight. (All 200 Lbs or less.)

	I know this isn’t likely DOT accurate, but it is fine for my needs - making sure I don’t overload my van.  Total cost: $25, and a good tool to have around for future use.

> (My road box weighs 1,673 lbs full, btw…)

	OK, so mine aren’t really heavy, but “Heavy" is a relative term. :-)

Bruce
-----
Bruce Purdy
Central New York Magic Theatre Co.