[SML] DMX cable 2-into-1

David Fox David.Fox at etcconnect.com
Tue Dec 9 21:42:42 UTC 2014

Any type of DMX 2-fer makes me really twitchy because each universe should have its own data common line and you can't do that with a 5 pin XLR.

Using a single 5 wire cable with a shared wire to act as the Data Common for both  universes means that your common is now doing double duty and splitting out of the daisy chain topology.

Even if the wire used between 2fers contains 2 independent pairs each with their own shield like Belden 9729 or TMB's PC244Tproplex cable, you still have no way of connecting each of the commons.

Just my .02
It is important to note that the opinions of the individual and those of their employer are not always aligned.

What you have read should be construed as MY opinion and NOT the opinion of my employer. If you don't like or agree with my thoughts and musings, I am the one you should take to task and not the nice people who pay me.

Be Seeing You
David