[SML] Orchestra Pit Netting

Keith Newman keithbnewman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 00:20:50 UTC 2014

Hi all,

My auditorium is getting an extreme makeover beginning in July that will
close it for two years.  Significant refurbishment of the entire stage and
house is going to be done.  I'm on the same page with the consultant and
architects with most issues.  One of the things I do have a question about
is the orchestra pit.  We are currently looking at getting an automated pit
although I bet when the bean counters start cutting, the motorized pit will
be among the first things to go.  A pit will definitely be getting
installed though, even if the cover needs to be installed manually.

I'm at odds with the consultant on protection for the pit.  Their opinion
is that instinct will keep an actor from getting to close to the edge and
going in much as the way it is now with the edge of our current stage,
which has a 3' drop and has a trim piece (a 3/4" kick strip surrounding the
perimeter of the apron).  Mine is that we should protect our students and
cover our asses by installing a safety net and potentially get some
recessed or directionally faced EL wire or LED string that can dimly glow
around the pit opening.

We don't have any drawings established for the pit yet.  I don't know how
deep we will be going with it yet but I imagine it will be at least 6'.  I
do know that people have gotten seriously hurt and have died falling into
an uncovered pit.  Quite frankly, as being the guy that spends the most
time on the stage, I am as worried for myself as well as everyone else.
I've seen people fall off a 3' rise and get hurt.  I did it once while
pulling scenery downstage and fortunately only suffered a bruised ego.  I
saw someone else do it and they suffered a broken vertebrate.

I've seen Incord's site.  Are there any other net manufacturer's out
there?  Have any of you installed any lighting around your pit openings?
Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.  I'm also researching pit
accidents to back up my argument.  A simple google search has revealed a
bunch of them.  If any of you have a documented incident that you feel I
should include, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

Keith Newman
Technical Director
Cleveland Heights High School