[SML] Pit netting

Mark O marko66 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 20:26:58 UTC 2014

> From: Keith Newman <keithbnewman at gmail.com>
> To: Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net>
> Subject: [SML] Orchestra Pit Netting
>
> Hi all,
>
> My auditorium is getting an extreme makeover beginning in July that will
> close it for two years.  Significant refurbishment of the entire stage and
> house is going to be done.  I'm on the same page with the consultant and
> architects with most issues.  One of the things I do have a question about
> is the orchestra pit.  We are currently looking at getting an automated pit
> although I bet when the bean counters start cutting, the motorized pit will
> be among the first things to go.  A pit will definitely be getting
> installed though, even if the cover needs to be installed manually

Something to keep in mind. When you eliminate the automated pit. Someone has to deal with the pit filler. Even the better ones from Wenger are a pita. (If you have to get one, I would look into the Wenger one. It's as good as it gets.)

I have seen more people hurt onstage working on pit fillers, traps, etc. perhaps you can convince the powers that be that the added safety is worth the upfront expense.

My 2 cents.

Mark O