[SML] Orchestra Pit Netting

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 18:15:03 UTC 2014

Keith-

A few thoughts on a topic I think about a lot.

First, falls from a stage into a pit, first row, or trap are perhaps
the most common hazard encountered on stages.  You are right to be
concerned.  In the 2015 Life Safety Code, for the first time I know
of, the blanket exception for fall protection from stages is gone, and
replaced with:

"Where a guard is ordinarily required but not provided in accordance
with 12.2.11.1.6 exceptions (1) and (2), a written plan shall be
developed and maintained to mitigate the fall hazards of unguarded
raised floor areas and vertical openings on stages."

And the advisory appendix:

"The written plan should identify the unguarded areas and should
include precautions and provisions to mitigate the fall hazard. Such
precautions and provisions may include:
Training
Choreography
Rehearsal
Restricted access to the stage
Restricted access to unguarded edges
Warning lights
Audible warnings
Tactile edges
Warning barriers
Signage
Temporary barriers
Personal fall protection
Fall restraint
Spotters"

Lift vs filler:  As a starting point for deciding, I suggest that if
the pit is used 4 or fewer times a year, it's hard to justify the cost
of a lift.  But there are exceptions - like when it's needed for
storage or loading - a function that has better options usually but
not always - or you've got a donor among other factors.

With a lift, I feel a net is the only practical option, but suddenly
the effortlessness of a lift vs filler is diminished by having to
manually install or uninstall a net, and the interlocking or lack of
interlocking of the net in position to the lift movement is not
without problems and costs.  Obviously possible to make an automatic
safety net of some sort integrated into the system,  but undoubtedly
very expensive.

For fillers, my current preferred solution is tensioned wire grid
panels - attached to pit rail and edge of stage about 7-8" below
finished stage level.  Then basic platforms - I like Stageright
honeycomb but SECOA, Wenger, and Stageing concepts are fine.  Try to
size for 75 pounds or so max.  These sit on stub legs on the TWG frame
so safe at all times.   We also do edge lights, liking Future Light's
EdgeLyte product because of it's directionality, dmx control,
customizing in terms of spacing and color of the LEDs, and durability
- rolling heavy loads on even small casters across it is not a
problem.  In addition to these, we recommend warning signs and
orientation for anyone who comes onto the stage.The TWG also protects
the workers on installing/removing the fillers.

And if doing fillers and a net, I still use shelf angles on pit rail
and stage edge, punch it for the net attachment/anchor, and span with
similar decks to above, only stub legs on the shelf angles. Last one
left the stub legs and locator pins in place so even fewer parts to
handle.  The last time I used a net, I also designed sleeves for posts
and chain around the opening.

Both of these eliminate the support system and save time in change
over, and actually the elimination of the framing pays for a lot of
the TWG.

Unfortunately, with a demi-pit - less than standing height - not
practical passive solution.

Which leads me to the net vs tensioned wire grid. Nets sage - like 50"
in Incord's tests - so they may not protect the musicians as well as
would be good, and I'd hate to fall on the base.  But since the
majority of these falls seems to be during non-performance times,
better a net than nothing.

Last, there are at least several schools in Michigan where bar grate
and lids have been used.  I don't like the uni-directional
transparency - with the bars working like Venetian blinds - but worth
pointing out.  Less expensive than TWG but more than net.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC