[SML] Grass and sand on stage

Dale Farmer dalesql at verizon.net
Fri Dec 19 04:00:34 UTC 2014

On 12/18/2014 10:42 PM, Matthew J. Evans via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hello!  I'm getting ready for devised performance installation in our
> black box.  There are three rooms that surround the main black box the
> director plans on leading the audience into during the performance.
> The first room is the "earth room" - in this room the director has
> asked for grass on the floor.  I've found a company that sells raffia
> grass mats and are flame retardant.  This sounds like the perfect
> solution - right?  Well, the director threw me a curve ball today and
> said she wants real grass.  I was wondering if anyone has done this in
> the past and what the challenges are using sod?  The first challenge I
> can think of is the sod flame retardant? I'm pretty sure I can't hook
> up sprinklers up nightly - Stage Management would hate me - haha!

   SUre you can do it, if you have the budget.   Contact a local
landscapeing company to lay fresh sod every day, and remove the previous
day's sod.    Put down two or three layers of plastic and waterproof
tarp, sod installation involves cutting the pieces to fit with box
cutters.  The dirt will get *everywhere*.
> The second room is "under the ocean". The room is 10'x30' and she
> wants sand on the floor. I've talked to too many people that have put
> sand in their theatre and say it's a nightmare after the show closes.
> I've looked into using granulated cork (FYI cork is flame retardant),
> however it is expensive.
>
> Please share your thoughts and if you have any granulated cork for sale!
  If they have the budget, go for it.

   --Dale