[SML] Time Laps

Don Taco taco at peak.org
Sun Nov 9 17:04:18 UTC 2014

> When Brad Roberts (of Crash Test Dummies) came through 3(?) years ago,
> kick-starting the comeback, he WANTED the audience to video, photo,
> upload, tweet, <spread social media buzz> about the concert.  Hey, free
> advertising.  At that point our ushers stood down, and let it roll.

   When the trumpeter, Chris Botti, played near here, he announced that
modern technology was wonderful, and we had paid for the privilege of
attending, and he wanted anyone and everyone to take all the pictures and
recordings they wished. That squashed any possible objections by the ushers,
as many many people moved to the front of the stage with their phones.
During the next number, a torchy piece by an incredible woman singer he had
with him, she moved up to the edge and mugged for the cameras, stuck her
face right into a bunch of them, and then took one of them from its owner,
turned it on him and the audience, danced around and swirled with it pointed
at her, moved all through the band taking close-ups, for several minutes,
all the while singing for all she was worth, and then returned it to the
guy. Now, that recording is going to suck just as much as every other crappy
phone capture at a concert, but I will bet that that guy is going to be
prouder of that footage than most anything he's ever done. The audience
loved it. Brave new world.  Not exactly appropriate behavior for most of the
theater we do, however.