[SML] Man's Wedding Ring Gets Him Killed

Dave Vick dave.vick at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 22:51:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Jeffrey E. Salzberg via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> http://www.newser.com/story/198469/mans-wedding-ring-gets-him-killed.html

The thing that bugs me about this story is... You need a ground path
to complete the electrical circuit through your body; *that* is what
puts you in danger. Just removing your jewelry isn't enough. Okay,
sure; I can buy the guy's ring made contact with an unseen source of
208VAC, but where did the juice EXIT from? Was he kneeling in water?
Was he also grabbing a metalic (grounded) drain pipe? What's the rest
of the story?

"Just take off your rings" sounds more like good advice for carpenters
and machinists than it does for electricians, frankly, in the absence
of other data.

--
Dave Vick
Automation Carpenter/Rigger,