[SML] Man's Wedding Ring Gets Him Killed

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Fri Nov 14 07:46:49 UTC 2014

> In either of those scenarios the ring contributed to the electrocution.

There are basically two related reasons to remove your ring before working on
any high current circuit.

1) The ring can produce a very low resistance short.
2) If such a short occurs, you can cook your fingers quite quickly.

> I was taught at an early age to remove jewelry before messing with
> possibly energized circuits. Now I worry about underwires when at
> transmitting sites. It's always something!

As long as the transmitter is energized when you arrive, you would have plenty
of warning before you got too close. And most transmitters in the frequency
range where you could have a resonant antenna effect are low power - so any
coupled energy would be very low.

Bill