[SML] damping echo with blankets

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Sun Nov 16 23:42:30 UTC 2014

The only trouble with such things is that they do not work very well,
especialy if 'bolted' to walls. They really need to be spaced from the
walls by about a foot, and preferably rigged NOT parallel to the
walls. Modifying a room acoustic is never simple nor easy.

The asthma problem is, as suggested, due to the dust inthe blankets.
Fibreglass may answer this problem, but I emphasise the MAY!
Fibreglass dust may well cause other problems, and they are not immune
to the accumulation of dust.

On 16 November 2014 21:20, Steven Hood via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> There are fiberglass-filled blankets designed to be bolted to walls for
> exactly this sort of application. We have them in our loading dock and
> across the roof of our gym. Google acoustical lapendary, ams you'll find
> companies who deal in what you're looking for.
> Hth,
> Steven R Hood
> 310.756.3555
>

> On November 16, 2014 12:30:56 PM Pilates For Bodies via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,  we recently shot a video in a ballet room. The echo in this
>> room was terrible, so we rented five big bags of blankets from a
>> moving company, and we hung them around two sides of the room.   About
>> 25 blankets in all  A couple days later, I came down with asthma.
>> This is first time I have every had asthma.  It lasted a couple days.
>> I can't say for sure, but I think it could be related to the dust in
>> the blankets. So, I was wondering if there was any material you can
>> think of that is readily available, cheap and wouldn't have this
>> health hazard.  Thanks, chris

Frank Wood