[SML] Tele-Q & Practical Phones

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 19 23:44:43 UTC 2014

Two problems here. First, while phantom power is at about the right
voltage, it comes between both signal legs and ground. This would need
a special adapter in an XLR connector. If you have a T-power option,
as used by some Sennheiser microphones, this would need no special
adapter, provided that the polarity was correct.

Second, I doubt that it would supply sufficient curent for a
telephone. Phantom power for microphones is usually limited to 10mA or
so. Telephones still meet very old-fashioned standards, and sometimes
expect to see big relays across the line. I would think that 100mA
would be typical.

On 19 November 2014 21:08, Joe Wilson via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Dorian Kelly via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> I thought the teleQ provided the line power as well as the ring power, no?
>
> No, TeleQ only supplies ringing voltage.  It turns off when you
> release the button.
>
> I wonder if you could use a sound console's phantom power supply to
> supply the talk voltage... hmmmm.
>
> ~joe

Frank Wood