[SML] infrared hearing systems

Stephen Litterst litterst.stagecraft at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 16:06:00 UTC 2014

On 11/24/14 10:44 AM, Garry Brown via Stagecraft wrote:
>    I’ve been asked to gather information on infrared hearing systems for
> our two theatres. So far, I’ve done a couple of searches on said systems
> to determine what exactly we might need and a ballpark cost estimate,
> but I really don’t know anything about them beyond the basics of a feed
> of some sort, an amp/router, and headset receivers.

First off, is there a reason you're going the infrared route?  There are
variety of assisted listening system technology, ranging from IR, to RF
to induction loop.  Depending on your needs, one of the other
technologies may better suit your application.

In brief:

Infrared:  requires every seat to be in view of the IR emitter, and for
the patrons' devices to have an unobstructed line-of-sight to the
emitter.  For large theatres, this may require installing multiple emitters.

Radio Frequence (RF):  Essentially a low-power FM radio station.  An
antenna from the transmitter broadcasts the signal to the patrons'
devices.  Line-of-sight is not an issue, but building consruction or
poor antenna placement can create dead zones.

Induction Loop:  A copper conductor is looped around the audience,
allowing patrons with the proper hearing aids to tune directly into the
feed (stand-alone receivers are available as well.)  Can be
cost-prohibitive to retrofit into an older building.

I think the most important part of any system is the quality of the feed
into it.  I know of a theatre that spent in excess of $20k to replace
their RF system with an induction loop, only to find the problem wasn't
the AL system, but the feed to it.  They then spent further $$ to
upgrade the microphones which then made both systems sound much better.
  It doesn't matter how you deliver the sound, if you're not capturing
clean sound to begin with.

Steve L.

--
Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall