[SML] Rock Singer Electrocuted on Stage

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 29 19:10:41 UTC 2014

This is very true. While low voltage batteries are inherently safe in
terms of electrocution, as jerry rightly says, they containa lot of
energy and are capable of sending huge currents into low resistance
loads.  A normal car starter motor may draw several hundred amps, that
of a big truck proportionately more.

A big telephone exchange used to have a really big 50V battery, and
still may do. When I say big, i mean 30' x 10' or so. Tools for use in
these areas were fully insulated, apart from their working parts such
as the jaws of wrenches and the tips of screwdrivers. Imagine the
consequences of dropping a normal wrench onto such a battery. They
could well be lehal to anyone in the room. Metal ladders were also
forbidden.

On 29 November 2014 at 15:15, Jerry Durand via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> On 11/28/2014 09:49 PM, June Abernathy via Stagecraft wrote:
>>
>> Frank is not the only person I have met who assumes that 120V can't kill you. It is an incredibly dangerous assumption.
>>

> Also, people who think 12/24V from auto/solar battery is safe.  It is
> NOT, there is a LOT of energy in a battery.
>
>> P.S. Pet Peeve - Lethal electrocution is redundant. If you lived, you were shocked. If you didn't, you were electrocuted.
>>

> WARNING:  Petting a Peeve can be shocking.
>
> --
> Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.  www.interstellar.com
> tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
> Skype:  jerrydurand

Frank Wood