[SML] proper batten clamping device for pipe-downs

Loren Schreiber lschreib at mail.sdsu.edu
Wed Oct 1 18:21:26 UTC 2014

This old phart thinks the Mega-Coupler Pipe Adapter is an accident
waiting to happen. I am not comfortable with a threaded pipe connection
that depends on the threads for support, especially over my head. The
set screw will damage the threads eventually, and I know that the same
pipe will be threaded into the same coupler time after time. And any
kind of dynamic situation--vibration or high-speed mechanized movement
like, say, on a cruise ship, will work this loose in no time.
Nope--don't like it at all. But that's just me. Regardless of the
connection you ultimately use, I'd still drill a hole and run a safety
cable through the tail-down and around the batten. Belt *and* suspenders :)

Loren

--
Professor Loren Philip Schreiber
Technical Director