[SML] weird timing of post was Re: elite production?

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Thu Oct 2 04:51:28 UTC 2014

> On 10/01/2014 05:34 PM, Kristi R-C via Stagecraft wrote:
>> Wonder what the world record for longest email still in use is.

I'm at a university and have been since forever. (1979)   I've had the same e mail address since we started having e mail and will continue to have the same address until I die.  Cornell let's me keep it when/if I retire. (as happens with everyone here).    They also let students keep their Cornell address when they graduate.  For students, it just becomes a forwarding address but I will still be on the university system…. that way Cornell always knows where their graduates are and how to hit them up for money.
It helps to be at a place that had one of the first five  NSF supercomputers centers back in the mid 80's when NSF was developing its network and expanding/taking over the Defense department's network.    Cornell campus was interconnected early.  We could "talk" with Univ of Illinois around 1986.  They gave us poor folks in "humanities" money for personal computers in 86 as well so we all went out and got Mac Plus(es) which didn't connect to much of anything but you could make nice hookup charts on Excel.  Not so much with early MacDraw.    I believe my MacPlus is still in my garage somewhere.

DickA
TD, Cornell U