[SML] Windows Weirdness

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 11 21:52:37 UTC 2014

Why is it again so much stuff requires Windows?

Because, unhappily, it is the operating system in the widest use. Back
when I started with computers, I disliked the GUI systems, and wrote
Pascal programs to work like the windows desktop, but with words
written on the screen,rather than icons. This created DOS batch files
to run the programmes, and to restore normal operation afterwards. I
remember one dialect of Basic which, for some unknown reason, divided
the clock rate by three.

But the world has changed. Like it or not, every piece of software
installed puts up its own icon on the desktop, automatically. We have
to live with that.

Going back a long way, there was a fundamental divide in computing,
between 8080 based systems and 6800 systems. Thet have fundamentally
different instruction sets, and internal architecture. I understand
the differences, but my own training in machine code and assembler has
all been 8080 based.

It is even worse with I-Pads and I-Phones. Apps and icons hide the
workings of computers from their users. When they fall over, the users
are at a loss.

On 11 October 2014 20:59, Jerry Durand via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Just had a case of Windows confusion that I hadn't seen before.
>
> Setting up a new Windows 7 Pro system Windows decided that a generic 7-port
> USB hub was actually one of our lighting controllers.  Unplugging the actual
> lighting controller didn't help, Windows still showed it as plugged in with
> the definition of a generic hub.
>
> Several bad words later, I uninstalled the devices through Computer
> Management and then plugged the hub back in, made SURE it was recognized as
> a hub, then added each device.  Seems to work now but of course the drive
> letter changed for an external drive... (grrrrr).
>
> Why is it again so much stuff requires Windows?
>
> --
> Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc.  www.interstellar.com
> tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
> Skype:  jerrydurand

Frank Wood