[SML] Theatrical educations questions, was: Subject: advice on some old pigment

Chad Croteau cpcroteau at bell.net
Mon Oct 13 15:03:30 UTC 2014

Hi Brent,

I don't think it's a question of losing knowledge out of fear, per se.  I know that for the program in which I teach, vocational learning outcomes are dictated by the government, and the College also caps the number of hours per week per course.  So, I have to cover x, y and z, and only have x number of hours in which to do it.  Since the mandate of the College is to give students employable skill sets, it's quite clear:  I don't have time to teach the old ways for the sake of preserving the knowledge.  While I often do include some historical perspective on where we came from and why, I certainly can't devote even a whole class to it, let alone a whole course.

The other half of the argument is that in some cases, the old ways SHOULD be left to history.  While I agree that there is an academic value to remembering how we used asbestos fibres to add texture to scenery, I'm ok with never doing that again.  I'd also refuse to teach that on the grounds that there's a big health risk involved, regardless of the PPE available to me.  As for things like aniline dyes, loose pigments, etc. while they gave great results, we now have alternate, less dangerous methods of achieving basically the same outcomes.  Something else worth considering... While I can't speak for any country other than Canada, if I wanted to teach mixing/painting with loose pigment, the H&S requirements would be so stringent it would make the process almost impossible to complete a whole set, let alone impractical.

No one would consider making a felt hat using mercury, but we all know it used to be done.  It's not fear, it's a better understanding of why it's not the best way anymore.

Just my thoughts...

Chad

Brent Logsdon wrote:

Should knowledge be allowed to die?  I understand the argument that there is little need for a top-notch buggy whip maker.  I understand there need be very few courses nationally in the making of buggy whips. I also wonder how many things we lose out of fear.