[SML] Open houses, small tradeshows, etc.

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Sun Oct 19 17:12:43 UTC 2014

On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 7:29 AM, Bill Conner via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Many states have high school theatre festivals.  You might ask or
> Google around for those.  Check "show choir" festivals as well - in
> high schools, They seem to have more clout and money than drama clubs
> these days.

Bill brings up a good recommendation. My own state's (Oregon) International
Thespian Society's State Conference hosts workshops and classes for acting
and directing, and also tech and design. The tech and design offerings are
usually rather slim, as no one wants to lug along materials for a workshop
that gets hands-on.  So the State Conference board has been shifting to a
more of a vendor-centric offering, encouraging vendors to set up a booth,
but more specifically, offer some workshops on using available tech theatre
goods (like a workshop on using gobos in an interesting way, which just
happens to feature their gobo rotators and film loops, perhaps). In other
words, they want something that's got an educational approach, and not just
a sales pitch. I actually haven't been to our state's conference in a few
years, and although I believe this vendor-centric approach is only a couple
of years old, I hear very favorable reports from drama teachers, tech
directors, and students alike.

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com