[SML] Monitor systems and Universities

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Thu Oct 23 19:38:22 UTC 2014

Hi Jon

Chan Centre for the Performing Arts, University of British Columbia

Program sound is turned on/off for each rental/event/performance.  1 switch to power down the "broadcast" amps etc.

Telus studio: I can turn on Program sound in the tech booth (separate booth amps), without broadcasting it to the rest of the building.  Good for tech/load-in.
Concert Hall: on/off with the main backstage system, feeds lx, sound booths, dressing rooms, hallways, lobby system (which has it's own on/off control, volume), offices.

Program video system:
Camera and creston broadcast controller left on 24/7.  Backstage video monitors turned on/off as required (1 switch on the Crestron touch screen).  Same for lobby monitors.

NOTE: class rehearsals (music, theatre) are not staffed by (paid, union) venue technicians, so no program sound/video.  Classes have their own TAs, workstudies, faculty, but they don't touch our technical equipment (chairs, stands, risers, choral risers: they can set-up take down).

When the theatre school productions are running, our FOH staff is in to usher, but not our techs.  The theater school technical staff (TD for the run) are the "responsible" staff.  In this case we leave the program sound system on for the 2-3 weeks of the run.  Haven't yet worked out the video aspect of this (new system).

Outside rentals are staffed, and the techs turn on the video and program sound systems at start of call.

Program sound and video patchbays, amps, controls, are locked away in a backstage "comm" room, easily accessed.

That help?  Can I clarify any of it?

> Those of you working in Universities, do you leave your performance space
> video and/or audio monitoring systems on all of the time or just turn them
> on starting at tech rehearsals?  Why or why not?  The specific question that
> has come up is about rehearsal and class time.
>
> Thanks,
> John McAfee

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician

604-822-2372
Andrew.riter at ubc.ca