[SML] Motor question

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Tue Sep 9 16:57:34 UTC 2014

On 09/09/2014 09:51 AM, Marty via Stagecraft wrote:
> As part of the move to the UK I've bought
> a few small power transformers to step down
> to 110VAC. IIRC they are not usable for
> anything with a motor like the wifes' mixer or
> power tools.
>
> Am I right about that?
>
> Marty.
> The usual Manager of Mirth

That depends.  There are two types of power converters used for travel.
One is an actual transformer with a block of iron in it.  That just
adjusts the voltage down while maintaining a nice sine wave.  Another
for "hair dryers" and such is actually a lighting dimmer preset to a
value that makes the chopped wave heat a hair dryer about the same.

The first type is usable for anything that is within it's wattage rating.

The second type is barely usable for it's stated purpose.

You should be able to get larger step-down transformers in the UK, they
use 120V power tools on construction sites so these transformers should
be available.  Have someone you know there acquire something have have
it queued up waiting for you when you arrive.

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
Skype:  jerrydurand