[SML] List replies (was Re: mailing list new beginning?)

Noah Price stagecraft-web at theprices.net
Wed Sep 10 10:48:05 UTC 2014

Jerry Durand wrote:
> I'm on one other list with a problem like that.  Only, REPLY
> goes to the original sender only.  When you realize your message
> never made it to the list, you go back and hit REPLY-ALL and now
> it sends to the list and everyone who ever commented on it using
> REPLY-ALL.

The new list software is pretty smart about replies. If you hit reply in your email program, it's typically going to go to Reply-To addresses. By default, the list is set to "Avoid duplicate copies of messages" -- that means if a subscriber's email address is in the To or CC line, the list will not send the list message to that user. So it's not terribly important to remove the "extra" addresses. Of course the digest folks may appreciate not getting the individual message replies, so I guess it's best to delete those extra addresses and let the list handle the replies.

That is one of many settings each user may customize on the list's web page. Your welcome email included the link and your list password.

Chip wrote:
> I notice at least 3 copies of the "For list information..." at
> the bottom.

The multiple list footers on replies is a different issue. If everyone trims the unnecessary bits out of replies, we can avoid that. I'll look at filters to remove some of those extra footers, but it's not trivial with different quoting styles and especially with HTML messages.

Remember the request going way back to the beginning of the original list to trim your replies! That will also help avoid quoting entire digests :-)  I know some mail programs, especially on phones and tablets, make it hard to see how big your reply really is...

I'm sure by the next major holiday I'll also be motivated to add my "auto responder" filters as well :-)

Noah