[SML] Effects on Element console

Phil Haney leadflyman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:42:34 UTC 2014

Part of the issue was my screen was only showing Effects 901-910 and I
> didn't know that there were another 10 effects. I didn't know that I didn't
> know, ya know?

Ahh, second order ignorance. From an article I read somewhere about
computer programming:

*   Zero order ignorance: Lack of ignorance; that is, knowing something and
knowing that you can demonstrate that knowledge.

*   First order ignorance: Lack of knowledge; that is, knowing that you
don’t know something, but knowing that you could learn and how you could
learn.

*   Second order ignorance: Lack of awareness; that is, not knowing
something and not knowing that you don’t know. You are ignorant (unaware)
that you have first order ignorance.

*   Third order ignorance: Lack of process; that is, you don’t know how to
“discover” whether you have second order ignorance. Practically, this means
that no suitably efficient (reasonably time-limited) help is at hand to
guide the discovery process

*   Fourth order ignorance: Lack of awareness of the orders of ignorance.
Practically, this is best interpreted to mean lack of awareness about what
software development is really all about (knowledge acquisition and
storage).

(Yeah, us computer programmer types almost always start lists and arrays at
zero...)

-Phil

"Quini, quidi, quici" - I came, I saw, I played a little quidditch.