[SML] Classes in college.

Kristi R-C misswisc at aol.com
Fri Sep 12 03:18:43 UTC 2014

Soooo...they get college credit for what amounts to OTJ training?
Wish I coulda scored something like that

I still learn on the job. It's one of my favorite parts of the gig.

Many schools call this "lab time" or "shop hours" or "crew participation" and require a set number of hours for a certain grade.

A good supervisor/teacher can turn on the job experiences into a "real" class IF there are clear course objectives and content that will be covered, E.g., "student will learn to be a stage electrician" isn't specific enough. A detailed list of exactly the skills and competencies expected is, E.g., Student will be able  to: Solder, demonstrate correct procedures for hanging a Source Four Leko, explain the controls on a Super trooper and demonstrate proper use of each, name the parts of and rewire SPG plugs, correctly name common sound connectors (NL4, BNC, XLR), complete equations based on Ohm's Law, etc.

This could be as formal as a written exam or as simple as each student keeping a checklist which the supervisor initials when s/he witnesses the demonstrated competency/skill.

Kristi R-C