[SML] Classes in college.

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 15:29:56 UTC 2014

Dear Kristi,
The most significant lapse I have found in the education of recent job
applicants I have interviewed, is the lack of training to provide
accurate cost estimates to produce or rent scenery, costumes,
lighting, or other aspect of a show, especially when the job applicant
is, or will be, the designer of that aspect of the show. I prefer
design-and-build contracts. Let me just 'sign off' on the elevation or
the rendering, pay the up-front deposit, and move on to other matters.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 7:38 AM, Donna Dickerson via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Skills could include: time management, efficient planning of workflow, team
> work, and coaching.   So often it's the soft skills that will make or break
> a project.
>
> these are skills that cross into other disciplines as well.
>
> Donna Dickerson
>

> On Sep 11, 2014, at 11:18 PM, "Kristi R-C via Stagecraft"
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>

> Soooo...they get college credit for what amounts to OTJ training?
> Wish I coulda scored something like that
>

> I still learn on the job. It's one of my favorite parts of the gig.
>
> Many schools call this "lab time" or "shop hours" or "crew participation"
> and require a set number of hours for a certain grade.
>
> A good supervisor/teacher can turn on the job experiences into a "real"
> class IF there are clear course objectives and content that will be covered,
> E.g., "student will learn to be a stage electrician" isn't specific enough.
> A detailed list of exactly the skills and competencies expected is, E.g.,
> Student will be able  to: Solder, demonstrate correct procedures for hanging
> a Source Four Leko, explain the controls on a Super trooper and demonstrate
> proper use of each, name the parts of and rewire SPG plugs, correctly name
> common sound connectors (NL4, BNC, XLR), complete equations based on Ohm's
> Law, etc.
>
> This could be as formal as a written exam or as simple as each student
> keeping a checklist which the supervisor initials when s/he witnesses the
> demonstrated competency/skill.
>
> Kristi R-C

/s/ Richard
_________