[SML] Dust and welding don't make good neighbors

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 15 17:43:09 UTC 2014

Never mind the shop, whwn did your theatre last get cleaned? Any sort
of finely divided powder can cause a dust explosion. Some years ago,
there was a quite minor fire at the Theatre Royal, Newcastle. The SM
rightly dropped the iron (UK fire curtains are heavy steel plates
separated by about 6" of fireproof material). This and the convection
currents caused by the fire caused a dust cloud, which exploded. It
blew a dint in the iron about 3' across, and a foot deep.

Back when I was at school, I remamber the Chemistry master
demonstrating this. He made a funnel out of a sheet of paper, put a
teaspoon of ordinary domestic flour in the narrow end, and blew it
into a 'cool' bunsen flame. The result was spectacular!

On 15 September 2014 15:04, Chip Wood via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2014/09/14/nestle-purina-explosion-flagstaff/15647501/
>
> Did you clean your shops today?
>
> Chip 1