[SML] Electrical Wire thru Pulleys

Dale Farmer dalesql at verizon.net
Tue Sep 16 01:56:48 UTC 2014

On 9/15/2014 12:19 PM, mburris via Stagecraft wrote:
> Oh wise and powerful list:
>
> An upcoming production of Our Town needs a few electrified replica oil lanterns to fly in from the grid of a spot rigged house.  I have been asked repeatedly about the possibility of running the electrical wire thru a pulley while the same wire suspends the lantern gag.
>
> Am I overreacting by remaining staunchly opposed to this approach?  Is there a cable suitable to the task?  The lanterns will be 12 volt pulling maybe up to ten watts.
>
> Loving the new server.
>
> Michael Jon Burris

There are electrical cables that have separate strength components
inside the cable for carrying the weight, for chandeliers and suchlike.
   I'm not so sure about running it through a pulley, as they are
designed only for straight line loading.   There are cables meant for
this sort of thing, but they are for elevators, and I suspect they are
stupidly expensive.
  If you have enough fly space above, you could hang the lamp from the
visible cable, with the strength cord.  Then above the sightline, break
out your combined power and load cable to your regular rigging line, and
then have the separate power cord run from there up into the fly space
such that it is out of sight from the audience.

--Dale