[SML] Printed Drops

Kevin Allen kevin_lee_allen at mac.com
Tue Sep 16 19:06:59 UTC 2014

It depends on the original image, but you ALWAYS want the highest resolution mage you can get. Is the original art flexible and can it fit onto a drum scanner> Is it small enough to fit on a flat bed scanner.

A photo taken with film, and a scan of the negative is likely to get a higher resolution than a digital photo, especially if you can use a larger format than 35mm

Richard is correct about the Pantone color, even if not part of the design, adding a small flat bit of PMS color can give the printer something to match

Rosebrand does great work, they understand theatre, and they offer many substrates for printing. They are not likely to be the bet deal. At all. Ever.

From a cost perspective, it helps with Rosebrand to be be near NY or LA.

I’ve had great results and amazing prices using sign companies. Everything theatrical has generally come from somewhere and has been brought into use for theatre. Sign companies pioneered digital printing. They can ‘finish’ the edges, they likely will not understand webbing, grommets and ties lines, or pipe pocket, but they do all that same kind of stitching.

Different sign companies have different level of customer service, but if you’re not in NY or LA, there is probably a much closer sign company that will also yeild savings on shipping.

Ask for samples.

On Sep 16, 2014, at 2:16 PM, Matthew Whiton via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

>     For those of you who have ordered a printed backdrop (rosebrand
> or other company), based on original wet media artwork, have you
> gotten better results with a Scan, or Photo of the original? Are
> they're any pitfalls to be avoided?

-----
Kevin Lee Allen
Production Designer, Set Designer, Lighting Designer, Producer, Author; Architect of Dreams
http://www.klad.comhttp://klad.com/blog
201.280.3841
klad at klad.com

http://about.me/kevin_lee_allen