[SML] plastic disconnect handle replacements

Riter, Andrew andrew.riter at ubc.ca
Wed Sep 17 17:28:57 UTC 2014

Hi everyone.

My plant electrician is trying to source a replacement handle for our 200A disconnect switch.  The end of it broke off, and now the lock-out internal slide recedes too far in, since the handle is shorter than it should be.

The handle itself is a component made by FPE (Federal Pioneer Electrics (Electrical?)).  They don't make / have spares.

The whole disconnect box was manufactured by Warnark Hershey, using parts from the FPE switch.

My electrician has contacted both FPE and Warnock, but can't source a new plastic handle.  (7.5" x 4")

Any thoughts where we might find a plastic handle, short of replacing the whole mechanism ($5000)?

The solution at this point is that the supply in the electrical vault becomes the lock-out point for the disconnect.  The switch can still operate, but between uses, the facility electricians lock out the disconnect in the vault, rather than at the disconnect.  It's legal, just not very elegant.

He's looked in the campus warehouse for all the old stuff, but of course it's all been cleared away in the past few years. . . .

Thanks.

Andrew M. Riter
Assistant Technical Director / Head Lighting Technician

Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
6265 Crescent Road
Vancouver, BC
V6T 1Z1