[SML] Thread projection

Loren Schreiber lschreib at mail.sdsu.edu
Thu Sep 18 19:23:04 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I'm looking for a published standard for the number of threads that are
required to project beyond the end of the nut--especially Nylocks.

I've always recommended 1.5 to 3 threads extending beyond the nylon
insert, or the face of a metal nut. But when I tried to find an actual
standard to cite, there were none related to our industry and only a
few, rather specifically for "flanged joints: *ASME B31.3, 335.2.3.
"*

This is the best I could find on the web:

This is a difficult question to answer. Depending on your application,
the answer could be anywhere from 1/2 engagement, up to having two full
threads extend beyond the nut. Look at these conflicting answers found
in four separate technical publications.

Federal Highway Administration, "Guidelines for the Installation,
Inspection, Maintenance and Repair of Structural Supports for Highway
Signs, Luminaires and Traffic Signals." Section 16.3.1.2 Anchor Rods
"Many times the rod is not long enough and the anchor nut is not fully
engaged. This in itself is not a serious deficiency as long as at least
three quarters of the nut is engaged."
http://wwwcf.fhwa.dot.gov/bridge/signinspection.pdf

Industrial Fasteners Institute, Joe Greenslade, Director of Engineering
Technology.
"How Many Threads Should Be Beyond The Nut?. The answer is: A minimum of
two thread pitches should extend beyond the top surface of the nut."

RCSC (Research Council for Structural Connections) Specification for
Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 or A490 Bolts 2.3.2. Geometry
"Heavy-hex structural bolt dimensions shall meet the requirements of
ANSI/ASME B18.2.6. The bolt length used shall be such that the end of
the bolt extends beyond or is at least flush with the outer face of the
nut when properly installed."
http://www.boltcouncil.org/files/2009RCSCSpecification.pdf

AISC Design Guide1 Page 10 Section 2.11.3
"Often, when the anchor rod is short, it may be possible to partially
engage the nut. A conservative estimate of the resulting nut strength
can be made based on the percentage of threads engaged, as long as at
least half of the threads in the nut are engaged."
http://www.aisc.org/store/p-1749-design-guide-1-base-plate-and-anchor-rod-design-second.aspx

AISC Steel Construction Manual, 13th Edition, Section 14-10
"Adequate thread engagement for anchor rods is identical to the
condition described in the RCSC Specification as adequate for steel to
steel structural joints using high strength bolts: having the end of the
[anchor rod] flush with or outside the face of the nut"
- See more at:
http://www.portlandbolt.com/faqs/recommendation-on-thread-engagement/#sthash.DV9RwF3K.dpuf

I believe common practice in theatre is 1.5 to 3 threads, but I'm not
sure how much weight that carries with lawyers and such.  What say you all?

Loren

--
Professor Loren Philip Schreiber
Technical Director