[SML] Light and Sound Design History Help

Wild, Larry Larry.Wild at northern.edu
Tue Sep 23 14:25:50 UTC 2014

Hi Nick
Click on the first link in the list below. Scroll down to the section on Abe Feder.  Feder was very active in the 1930s. He was the in-house light guy for the WPA’s Federal Theatre. A program under FDR to help put people back to work. One of the shows he designed was Orson Welles “Vodoo” Macbeth which was staged  with an all-black cast in Harlem. The paperwork for Welles FTP productions are at the Library of Congress some of which have been put on line. You can read his prompt book for Macbeth.  Included are the Focus Notes and Equipment Lists on “images” 9 to 16. There is a direct link to the Macbeth web page in the Feder section of the “Short History of Lighting Design” web page (Kristi’s top link). I don’t know if this will be any use to you, but I found the information interesting.

Good luck
Larry Wild
Assistant Professor of Theatre, Emeritus
Northern State University, Aberdeen, SD
(Also known as the “Old Guy from SD”)