[SML] OSHA Site

Scott R. Henkels henkelssr at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 24 19:29:06 UTC 2014

I know this is a bit random perhaps, but I just want to give a shout out to any OSHA folks listening and a reminder that lots of useful information exists at OSHA.gov

We've recently had our studio theatre space give us fits and starts with significant temperature and humidity swings.  After a good 12-14 months of discussions with our Facilities Management about the issue, we were, well... pretty peeved.  We had one complete floor of Masonite already replaced at our cost and starting to have major issues with its replacement.  Cast, crews, workers were having issues with high humidity and high temperatures.  Store-bought gauges were reading up to 87% humidity and high 70d temperatures.  Our Facilities folks were insistent that nothing could possibly be wrong.

A check at the OSHA site gave Recommendations for interior humidity and temperature ranges for safe working conditions.

An email was sent to our on campus Environmental Health and Safety Office.

Hours later the Director of Facilities was on site with technicians taking readings of their own.  The next day HVAC experts were brought in... and after a few days of on/off heat/AC cycling things have settled to normal.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.  And, thank you OSHA website and ESHO Office.

Scott Henkels
TD University Theatre, University of Oklahoma