[SML] Opera House backstage video

Dorian Kelly illuminati500 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 07:57:31 UTC 2014

This is fantastic, a superb training tool and one which gives a terrific insight into the inner workings and hidden mechanisms backstage at a busy opera house.

 But I have to say its rather pissed me off. Because this is something I have wanted to do- indeed planned to do  - for a long time, precisely and exactly this. I approached my local theatre over two years ago to install six cameras backstage and two FOH to capture thirty minutes of a traditional British Pantomine but they decided the cameras got in the way of their busy backstage, so it was put off and somehow got put on the back burner. Also I tracked to a local and very experienced web streaming company for advice on the right software and whether it could be provided in different ways. Mine only differed inasmuch as I didn’t have an optional commentary.  And also I had the facility to upload your own camera mix.  And I thing I had some faster loading.  So you can imagine how mixed my feelings were:  on the one hand elation that my idea was worth pursuing and on the other rue that someone else had done it. I am certainly not accusing anyone else of ripping my idea off, because I am a firm believer that when an idea’s time has come more than one person will have it simultaneous;y, which underlies the importance of protecting ones "ahead of  its time” ideas if you want to exploit them.

http://www.roh.org.uk/opera-machine

Dorian Kelly

Illuminati Creative Group. Illuminati has interesting and original ideas for the arts, their buildings and their technologies - UK and the world
3 Gladstone Road, Colchester CO1 2EB 01206 798076 / 07770 950964
email   dorian at theatrearts.biz
website http://www.theatrearts.biz

illuminati500 at gmail.com