[SML] Genie AWP-25S

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 13:27:49 UTC 2014

While I think the jury system is a fantastic concept, having been
called regularly over the past 25 years in Cook County, I have seen
that many people I would want on a jury, often myself included, ask to
be excused and are because of the time off from job.  Last one was
predicted to be a three week case - and it was a very interesting
product liability issue - but hoe can a person who works 50-60 hours a
week in an above hourly wage earner job possibly take off three weeks
for the royal sum of $15 some dollars a day?  The result is that many
jurors are retired or unemployed.  The one time I did serve, I was
elected foreman, and spent most of my time explaining what "50%
meant".  Just the concept of more or less than half was difficulty for
many in that room.

To suggest that the jury isn't led like sheep by the best lawyer in
the courtroom is simply disingenuous.

And I'm sure there are folks in the top 10% of earners who are very
adept at not appearing greedy - but how did they get there otherwise?
That is the group we are discussing, not the median earner.

I wonder if I can import Tallescopes from the UK where tort law has
not become such a profit center.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC