[SML] elite production?

Kristi R-C misswisc at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 23:04:35 UTC 2014

POTUS and others who are under the protection of the Secret Service have VERY specific requirements for events - down to the fraction of an inch - and they all will be checked. The requirements are mostly security based, others are to facilitate the media coverage, and the last group are for the safety and comfort of the attendees. They do this often and have clear, venue specific instructions which need to be precisely followed.

We had an event for FLOTUS at my alma mater. Having done events for various POTUSES (POTI?) before, we knew what to expect. We set things up as per the written plan. Double checked measurements. Local democratic party hostess comes in and doesn't like "how it looks" wants us re-do some things. We balk and are told "She's the one writing the check." We counter with, "We've done this before and are fairly certain we'll have to re-do it when SS arrives, but OK!" We just finish her changes when SS comes in and has us re-do it as per their plan. Three times the work because of one person's ego equals a much bigger check for my pocket. We even insured the flag was properly folded and never touched the ground.

The event in that article was on a military base and was done with very little notice. If you read the Single Source Justification paper work, you'll see they contacted three other vendors who couldn't provide the things in the time allotted. The added security needed to get items and personnel into the base and installed would certainly drive up the price. Have to be on a specific list of white house approved vendors to provide equipment in the first place. They prefer IA labor where it is available, and try to re-use people whom they have worked with in the past.

Compare this with the millions spent on product roll-outs and know that it is a pittance. Good, fast, cheap - pick two. Guess two POTUS got?

Kristi R-C