[SML] Sky Drop Recommendations

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 14:25:38 UTC 2015

When I started consulting in 1982, I specified leno a.k.a. filled
scrim for sky drops, usually dyed Rosenthal  blue.  They did look
great, especially when new and compared to muslin.  After trying vinyl
on one project, I never considered going back to Leno.  Vinyl is
probably near double the cost, so that may factor in, but you will
have to allow for flame retardant treatment probably every 5 years and
the possible changes and inconveniences that will cause.

If you do go leno, I preferred the rolled and basted sides, rather
than a hem and never a hem with webbing and grommets, which inevitably
caused wrinkles or puckers because the webbing didn't stretch the same
as the leno.  Also canvas pipe pockets at the bottom with gap every
10' for easier pipe insertion and removal, and separate leno flap or
skirt over.  If I were to do that today I might have two flaps,
attached with velcro, since that seems to be the part that shows
distress soonest.

--
Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC