[SML] Upgrading audio mixer

Bryan Manternach smashwolf at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 22:39:12 UTC 2015

We picked up a Behringer/Midas X32, for $2000, and a S16 "digital snake"
for $600.  I have been astounded with how feature packed it is for hte
cost.  It can still be set up for novices to reasonably use, but the
advanced features are easy to learn, and the system is easy to
navigate.  The Midas version of the board is identical to navigate so
there is no change in learning curve there , and the components are
cross-compatible, so as we have upgraded , we can mix and match. So as
we upgraded the FoH to Midas M32 veriant (Which is stil remarkably
affordable), the X32 still made anincredible stage-side monitor mix
desk, as well as alternate digital snake head.

Also the components are CHEAP.  I've since used the X32 digital snake
architecture to integrate audio into things like a rolling sound stage
on an art car at Burning Man, where my iPad became the FoH mix station
over WiFi.

Think what you will of Behringer.  But their move to up their quality by
adopting Midas is working so far on the digital mixer line of products.

-BRyan