[SML] (not) New welder, somewhat OT

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Mon Apr 6 14:58:20 UTC 2015

Nothing specific on Cyberweld, DV; thanks for checking with your supplier,
Joe.

My hope is that a standard electrode holder will work for SMAW (I can
check using the one another welder we have).  For TIG, there¹s an Airco HF
unit I¹d need to track down as well as the torch.  From trolling the
various welding forums (Fora? My latin¹s rusty) some of the internal parts
can be replaced by items that do the same job made by other companies
(Miller relays, etc.).  It seems to be relatively well thought of for a
welder that¹s obsolete - not the best, but not the worst thing out there.

This same unit was made under a few different names/companies and
eventually was bought by Esab who is still around.  Esab also bought
L-Tec, who made the welder that¹s currently under the weather awaiting a
relay, so our regular supplier may be able to help some.  I say ³may²,
because they haven¹t been able to get me the correct relay for the L-Tec
yet.  I have a download of the Dipstick manual from Esab, who kindly still
has it on their site.  First step (after using it if need be to finish the
set) will be to open it up and give it a good cleaning and make sure
nothing looks like it¹s about to fail.

- Jim Dougherty
ATD, Middlebury College Theatre Dept.