[SML] More on UV light from LEDs

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 02:19:11 UTC 2015

I just received a UV flashlight that is specifically rated at 395 nm, which I had hoped would be invisible to my eye.  But, it is not at all.  It is better (darker) than the LED strip I purchased,  (the source eventually answered that it should have a 380 to 420nm range... .which is a VERY large range.

One site I found, was written by a man who had non-uv blocking lens put in after cataract surgery.
http://www.komar.org/faq/colorado-cataract-surgery-crystalens/ultra-violet-color-glow/

He had a friend with lab equipment that would emit specific wavelength, and they tested several people in their lab, who ranged from 40-50 years old.  Their cut-off ranged from 410 to 430nm.  Though, younger people are known to be able to see more deeply towards the UV.  He stated that this is because, as the eye ages, it becomes more opaque to the higher frequencies.

So, at age 50, it is unlikely that I am seeing 395nm, but rather, the flashlight I purchased was not to spec.  Before I seek a refund from the vendor, anyone have anything else to add?

Joe Dunfee
jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
305-999-1759