[SML] Wireless microphones

Ray Gibson booray at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 00:29:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 6:40 AM, Johnson, Philip via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Since we only use it once or twice a year, rental?  Purchase?  I worry about wear and tear on rental mics and having to replace them because of carelessness
>
> Need about 20 or so for our shows.

Unless you have 30 grand to blow from some random bond measure, it
makes much more sense to rent them, especially at the frequency (ha
ha) that you are using them.

Many folks here and at the theater-sound list will suggest that you
check in with Page Daniel (audio at pagedaniel.com) for your rental
needs.  He will definitely take care of you, always have high quality
gear in stock, and can usually work as many channels as you need into
that dwindling HDTV spectrum.  His prices are generally much more
attractive than you will find from any local rental place.  If you
need more of a detailed recommendation let me know.

As far as wear and tear on the rentals go, of course you want to be
careful with them but often some wear and tear, and sometimes
breakage, is worked into the cost of the rental.  Whether it's from
Page or otherwise, negotiate and have it figured out up front.  When
dealing with students though, I show them the most expensive mic in
the bunch and explain how much they cost to replace, and to please be
careful and appreciative of the "$1000 bill I'm strapping to your
body"...  Also, it's important that only your A2's handle the
microphones.  Even if they are students, they can be trained to be
consistent and careful with the equipment.  Don't let the actors put
them on or take them off.

Good luck.

Ray