[SML] Piano Storage

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 16:33:04 UTC 2015

I've built a few, using 2" square steel tubing 16" OC and 3/8" ACX on each
side of the steel with R-30 insulation squished inside to prevent the sides
from resonating. This design made the PTB happy. The door had coffin locks.
/s/ Richard
_________

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Dave Tosti-Lane via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I designed one for a small space once using tube steel and thinner ply so
> that it could easily fold up against the wall to reclaim space when the
> theatre needed it. The idea was we'd prohibit storage on top because for
> about every third show, we needed the depth of the theatre and couldn't
> afford the big garage taking up space - we'd move the piano into a practice
> room for the run. (yes, I know that "prohibiting storage on the top" is an
> amusing concept, but I wasn't old and cynical yet)
> Then, I went on vacation for a month, and the operations director hired a
> local housing contractor to build it. I came back to find a monstrosity
> made of 2x4, 2x6, and 3/4 ply - still with the hinges so it could fold up,
> but rather than the split design I'd specified, the entire lid (2x6 and 3/4
> ply "so it would be safe to put heavy stuff on top") being hinged to fold
> up against the wall. Of course, the bloody thing weighed 300# or so, so
> they then added a block and fall running to the back wall to lift it. Since
> that needed clearance, it could only lift up to about a 60 degree angle and
> hang there in the way of everything.
> The cherry on top was that the internal 2x framing made it too small for
> the new piano they eventually purchased for the space.
> The plus side was that all that 3/4 ply was enough to build about 4 heavy
> duty road boxes for cable and instruments, and they decided to just store
> the piano in the rehearsal room from then on.
> Dave Tosti-Lane
>
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 7:30 AM, Joe Wilson via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>> Our piano cage is a plywood box (stud wall faced with ply) with a flat
>> joist roof overlaid with ply, gate hinge doors and a padlock.  That
>> might be too big for your needs, though.  Ours is build like a small
>> shed, and sits in the wings offstage with enough space inside for our
>> choral director to practice, and a window air-conditioner on the
>> opposite side from the door for humidity control.
>>
>> Being Florida, we aren't terribly worried about too little humidty,
>> only too much.  We have Dampp Chasers installed in all our classroom
>> and rehearsal pianos, but they apparently now make an installed
>> humidity control system for pianos that includes both a humidifier and
>> dehumidifier, for those of you who live in more variable climates.
>>
>> www.pianolifesaver.com

/s/ Richard
_________