[SML] /media ghost disks

Mick Alderson alderson at uwosh.edu
Mon Apr 27 02:29:45 UTC 2015

Jerry wrote:

> update:  The /media entries were folders.  ??  I removed them and
> rebooted, but Ubuntu is STILL trying to mount the two drives that aren't
> there.
>
> I need to find where it fixated on these drives and remove it.

This is a WAG, because I am not a Linux guru and only mess around with it once in awhile. I also use Puppy Linux. While I generally approach editing ANY config files with trepidation, sometimes it is necessary. So, with that caveat:

It sounds like you may have a configuration file with bad entries. If you are running Grub as a bootloader, Grub's configuration files are in the /boot/grub directory. One of those files is a text file called "device.map", or maybe "device.cfg" on some systems. The file maps BIOS drives to the OS. On my Puppy Linux 5.28 machine there is one entry:

(hd0) /dev/sda

In Linux, everything is treated as a file, including devices and drives. Just a guess and based solely on the "device.map" file name, if you have such a file that lists more entries, and those entries point to dev mount points that match the ghost drives, then perhaps that might be a place to start.

Of course, I'd first make a backup copy of any file I experimented on, and make sure I had a Linux live-boot CD or USB available so I could go back in and replace any file I messed up. (I believe the Ubutu install disk can be used in live-boot mode. If not, Puppy Linux is good for the task.)

Mick Alderson
TD, Fredric March Theatre
UW Oshkosh