[SML] DMX expert 16 bit conversion?

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Sun Aug 2 00:27:23 UTC 2015

I'm probably mis-reading the question, in case I didn't...

First you need to know which order the channels are sent.  As in channel
1 could be the lower 8 bits and channel 2 could be the upper 8.

Then do your equation:

(Percent * 65535) to get the 16 bit value you want.

Where to go next depends on the calculator you have handy.  If you can
convert to HEX then you'll have a 4-digit hex number like
12AB

The AB would go into the lower 8 bits, the 12 goes to the upper 8 bits.
The following tables may be of help.

http://interstellar.com/support/Model_4201-B/Application_Notes/Decimal_To_Hex.txt
http://interstellar.com/support/Model_4201-B/Application_Notes/Percent_To_Hex.txt

On 08/01/2015 05:05 PM, Herrick Goldman via Stagecraft wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> I suspect this is a Jerry or David Question.    I’m running a Hippo media server that has a 16 bit DMX component to run “cues” (actually jump to a preset on a timeline fwiw) . I’m running it via artnet on an ETC Ion.
>
> IN order to send say cue #2 I need to send a dmx value of 0.610 However it seems some of my values aren’t being listened to while others are.
>
> can someone confirm this concept to me?
>
> Hopefully this formats..
>

> Cue #*100
> 2*100=200 of 65536.
> So 200/65536*100=0.305% on console.

tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
Skype:  jerrydurand