[SML] Replacement Digital Camera

Dave Tosti-Lane davetostilane at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 02:08:55 UTC 2015

I've been an Olympus shooter for years - OM1 ultimately giving way to an E1
digital. (I also have Hassleblad 503 and Bronica SQ1 medium formats that
sit in the closet and have for years, though I can't bring myself to sell
them).
When I got tired of lugging the E1 around, I went for a Sony Nex6, and have
been very, very happy with it. I picked up an adaptor so I can use my old
OM1 lenses when I want to, but with the newer glass out there now I rarely
want to.
The Nex6 has live view on the LCD, but it also has an OLED viewfinder which
is kind of amazingly good. All of my images from my recent France/Italy
trip are shot with this camera and two lenses - a 10-18 zoom and a 18-200
zoom. I really appreciated the size and feature set, and have no complaints
about the image quality. It also has wifi built in to allow transfer of
pics to an iPad, although I rarely used that, preferring to just stick the
SD card in the Mac for downloading to Lightroom.
Pics are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dtostilane/sets
All these are reduced res jpgs made from the raw format originals.
Battery was good for all day on vacation, though I carried a spare - rarely
needed to put it in (though I rarely use flash).

My wife shoots with a Nikon 5200, and the day may come when I add a d4 to
the arsenal, but right now I'm pretty happy with the Nex6, particularly
since I can carry the camera on a belt clip a monopod and a belt clip lens
bag and be good for most of the day.

By the way - my favorite new piece of kit is my Uno B-Grip - attaches to a
pack strap or to your belt and uses an arca standard quick release pad to
lock the camera to the holder - so it's the same pad that my tripod and
monopods use. The nice thing about it is that it's a rigid mount - so it
holds the camera away from your body (and secure from being grabbed with a
razor slice of a strap).
http://www.bgrip.com/uno-en/

I'm sold on the mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras for regular use. I
still think there's something to be gained with a full SLR in some studio
and specific shoot sessions, but I honestly have not missed it for anything
I've shot in the last year, including show pictures. (there are some of
those on the flicker site too - the Our Town shots were all with this
camera and lens combo.)

Dave Tosti-Lane