[SML] ASCII file reader

Alex French flaggday at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 17:29:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 7:26 AM, Dan Sheehan via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Does anybody have, or know of, a piece of software
> that can read a USITT ASCII light board file and parse out
> the info into a more human-friendly format... like a patch list ?

Well this is moderately embarrassing... I'm pretty sure that a tool I wrote
last decade can do this, but I'm not positive and don't have a working
version in front of me at this moment.

If you haven't solved your problem by ~6PM tonight (when I'll be getting
home to my personal computer), feel free to ping me at "aff at mit.edu" to
remind me to follow up.

The tool was "XLCue" (
http://mitmtg.pbworks.com/w/page/21597007/XLCue%20Introduction), an Excel
spreadsheet with many complicated macros that let you write Cues (and
patch, setup subs, etc) in a spreadsheet, then export to ASCII, and from
there get to your console (it was written specifically to work with the
Express series).  XLCue also did some importing, but I'm not 100% positive
that it could import patch info.  Beyond just writing a spreadsheet, XLCue
had many nifty features that were setup to exactly meet my needs- some
abstraction layers for working with scrollers and very simple movers, some
really crude sort-of-visualization-sort-of-magic-sheet stuff, and even the
ability to actually play cues via a specific USB-DMX device (NOT intended
to actually run a show).  All based on my exact needs and working style,
and used by a few friends in the same environments with reasonable
success.  But I don't know that anyone in the world has run it in 4+ years.

Alex French