[SML] Super Titles?

John Palmer johndpalmer at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 5 16:38:00 UTC 2015

Hi Bruce,
I liked the screen to be grey.  I think we used a 25% grey, maybe closer to 50%.
A PowerPoint type program will work.  Here are some notes:
You want to be able to do different fade times on the slides.  Sometimes they need to be fast, but most of the time the transitions want to be smooth.
If they repeat the same thing, sometimes you want to hold a slide & sometimes you want to fade to black.
Frame the text into the very bottom of the slide.  It isn't as efficient for the projector, but you get much less spill from video black on the stage.
Projector contrast ratio is more important than output.  See note about video black.
The operator needs to see the conductor (live or Maestro cam), see the output (live or off the output of the computer.  If they are operating and taking the cues, or calling a "Go" know that there will be hundreds of cues during the performance.
Whoever is calling cues must be able to READ music very well.  They will need a dedicated headset channel.
The computer needs to be air gapped or in a do not disturb state.  We had a dedicated computer for supertitles when I was with the opera.
There will be problems at the most inconvenient time.
Oh, and video beats the hell out of slide projectors and timing carousel changes.
Take care,
John

John D. Palmer
(213) 453-1547