[SML] ASCII file reader

Ford Sellers fsellers at chauvetlighting.com
Wed Aug 5 19:28:06 UTC 2015

Hi Dan, Try this….
I think *** (and that is a dangerous thing) that this will work.
You should be able to import the ASCII txt file into Excel, and then reposition the columns, and then copy and paste back into a txt file.

Here’s how…
Save your ascii file as a text document (for lack of a better file name I’ll say “ascii.xtx”)
Open Excel,
[File], [open], under file type, choose text file, select ascii.txt.
It will open an “Import Wizard”.
On the various tabs of the wizard, you can select how it determines what info goes into which columns.  There is a preview pane, so you can see how it will be displayed as you select different options… it’s pretty easy to figure out.

Once it looks like you want, click OK, and you’ve got it in Excel.  Then simply move your columns into whatever order you desire.

Then… [Save as] file type “Unicode Text”.  This should leave everything in the right order, but in a txt file to reimport into ascii.

-HTH,
Ford Sellers
Senior Product Development Manager
Chauvet Professional Lighting & Iluminarc
5200 NW 108th ave
Sunrise, FL 33351